Normanton Local History
In the Domesday Book (1086)
Normanton is known as 'Normantune'
a sub district of Wachefelt (Wakefield),
Although it is commonly believed that
the origins of the name
'Normanton' are Northman town or town of the Northmen,
the actual origins are more simply explained; In Norman times,
Haw Hill was the site of an enclosed settlement (chosen for it strategic
view points of the surrounding area), this settlement became known as
'Norman - tune', or 'Norman - ton'.
All Saints Church in Normanton has existed
thought to have been commissioned by Roger Le Peytivin of Altofts Hall,
it has been re-modelled a number of times over the last 700 years,
and has one of the oldest altar stones in England,
the altar stone was discovered during remodelling,
concealed in the floor of the church.
Ancient Family Names in Normanton include:
Bunnys of Newland
Torres of Snydale
Favells of Normanton
Smiths (Dodsworths) of Newland
Mallets of Normanton
Levetts of Normanton
Cockhills of Altofts
John Freston Esquire (D.1594)
(John Freston built a small hospital in Kirkthorpe,
and Normanton Grammar School, next to All Saints Church,
the building still exists but has been converted to cottages).
have some information about the history of
Normanton, Please Email Us
Back To Main